EU Lobbying - skills and strategiesEuropean Desk - Camera di Commercio Belgo-Italiana
- Bruxelles (Belgien)
- 25 Lehrstunden
The programme of the course is divided in five modules:
MODULE 1 – Understanding lobby
This introduction talks about the concept of lobby and shows the reasons why organizations and civil society engage in lobbying activities. After an overview about the main actors of the EU lobby system, the main types of lobby activities are illustrated through examples.
- Introduction to lobby
- The actors of the EU lobby system
- Different types of lobby activities
- Legal entities of lobbies in Brussels
MODULE 2 – Lobby and the European institutions
This section explains the role of the lobbies in European legislation cycle and shows the close relations in the Brussels systems between the lobbies and the EU Institutions. Moreover, an expert presents the accreditation procedures at the European institutions and gives tips for an effective lobbying campaign.
- Relations between the European Institutions and the lobbies
- Accreditation of lobbyists at the European institutions
- Main documents and procedures in the European Parliament
- Lobby activities at the EP
MODULE 3 – Skills for lobby
Through practical exercises, participants develop their skills for an effective lobby activity. A particular emphasis is given on the networking, both among lobbies and with the EU institutions and on negotiation skills. Also the communication skills are developed thank to some simulations with a media expert.
- Developing negotiation skills for an effective lobby activity
- Developing communication skills - Practical exercise
MODULE 4 – Elements of a lobby strategy
This session aims to create a lobby strategy, analyzing the context and the stakeholders, defining the objectives and methodologies and setting the actions to be taken.
- Analysis of the problem, the context, players and power relations
- Lobby goals and audiences
- Methodologies, actions and resources - Practical exercise
- Influencing tools (lobby –media – campaign – networking)
MODULE 5 – Meeting with experts
Examples of lobby activities in Brussels: NGOs, regional representation, private companies, lobby experts.