International and Development EconomicsHTW Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft Berlin
Häufig gestellte Fragen
- first degree in economics, business or social science with economics, equivalent to a 3 year German Bachelor degree* - Applicants with a degree from Europe: at least 60 ECTS in Economics and Business Administration, thereof at least 15 ECTS in Economics - International Applicants: at least 12 Economics and Business Administration classes, thereof at least 3 classes in Economics (these must be equivalent to the above mentioned ECTS; theadmission committee will decide on the equivalence) - proof of English language proficiency..........
The Master's in International and Development Economics (MIDE) is an 18 month full-time programme at the University of Applied Sciences (HTW) Berlin. It has been running since 2003, and starts at the beginning of April each year.
MIDE is designed for students from developing countries, from Europe and other developed countries who have a special interest in the economic challenges facing developing and transition countries.
The programme consists of two semesters of courses with lectures/seminars of around 20 hours per week, and a third semester in which students are principally involved in writing a thesis. Teaching is entirely in English.
MIDE provides students with a critical understanding of current theoretical and policy debates in
- development economics,
- international economics and
It also offers a wide range of optional courses on policy and management issues in key economic sectors, including agriculture, financial institutions and public enterprises.
Students are expected to have acquired a basic academic knowledge of economics in their undergraduate studies.
The Course Programme
The programme comprises three semesters consisting of 19 course modules, including a Project and Dissertation Period of 6 months. Six courses are compulsory (marked with *), eight out of 13 offered optional courses must be taken (one of these either Quantitative Methods of Economics or Project Planning & Evaluation).
Development Studies I*
Macroeconomics of Less Developed Countries (LDCs)*
Regional Policies in LDCs
Agricultural Economics in LDCs
Social Security Systems
Social and Political Context of Economic Development
The Humanities Programme comprises a lecture in “Writing Academic Papers and Reports” and the course “European History and Culture”, as well as excursions to companies and historical sites.
Development Studies II*
Public Finance in LDCs*
Money and Banking in LDCs
Financial Institutions and their Management
Quantitative Methods of Economics
Project Planning and Evaluation
Project Seminar/Thesis Preparation
Thesis (12 weeks)
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) grants a limited number of scholarships covering living expenses (service fees will bewaived).
To be eligible to apply for the DAAD scholarship, applicants must:
- be from a developing or transition country and
- have two or more years of professional experience
Applicants with a degree from Europe: A total of 210 ECTS credit points or equivalent will be required. Applicants with only 180 ECTS credit points or equivalent will be eligible if they have completed at least one year’s professional employment or training since graduating. Applicants with a degree from other foreign countries: The degree must be equivalent to at least a 3 year German Bachelors degree (Bachelor degrees from India, Pakistan, the Philippines, Nepal and Bhutan are not considered equivalent.) To find out whether your degree is equivalent. Applicants must then have completed at least one year's professional employment or training
since graduating. In this case, proof of professional employment must
be submitted. If the degree is equivalent to a 4 year German degree,professional employment or training is not an admission requirement.
- TOEFL paper-based: at least 580 points; or
- TOEFL computer-based: at least 237 points; or
- TOEFL internet-based: at least 96 points; or
- IELTS: grade 6.0; or
- Native speakers of English are not required to supply proof of their English language ability.
- If English was the official language of instruction for your first degree, please supply official proof. TOEFL or IELTS are not required in this case.
Here a selection of institutions, MIDE graduates are working at:
- Advantum Corporate Finance, Frankfurt, Germany
- Alles Group ONCOR, Mexiko
- AMRO Bank, China
- Apex America, Cordoba, Spain
- Berlin Tourismus Marketing GmbH, Berlin, Germany
- China Central Television Securities Channel, China
- National Coal Industry Import and Export Group Lianyungang, China
- DFID-World Bank Development Cooperation Project, Vietnam
- Europäische Kommission, Brüssel, Belgium
- Google, China
- Hochtief, Essen, Deutschland
- International Project Consult GmbH (Frankfurt), Mozambique
- KfW Bankengruppe
- Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning, Ghana
- SAP, Peru
- Siemens, Ryiad, Saudi Arabia
- State Joint Stock Company "Uzavtoyul", Uzbekistan
- UNCTAD, Geneva, Switzerland
- UNDP, Egypt
- UNDP, New York
- University of Prishtina, Faculty of Economy, Kosovo
Application Deadline: 30.09.2009
Duration / Dates : Duration: 3 Semesters (18 months)
01.04.2010 – 30.09.2011