Research Applied Linguistics (by distance learning)Aston University
Preis auf Anfrage
- Birmingham (Grossbritannien)
Was lernen Sie in diesem Kurs?
The programme is designed to meet the needs of individual students. You will be given a individually-tailored learning pathway, in consulation with the Programme Director and potential supervisor, based on previous experience and qualifications.
During the first two years (of the part-time programme), all students will complete core Research Methods training. Depending on prior experience a student also may be asked to complete a subject specific element from the areas of Applied Linguistics, Forensic Linguistics and TESOL. This will give practice in carrying out a small-scale, subject-specfic research project.
All students must submit a qualifying report before the end of their second year in order to be admitted to the award of either MPhil or PhD.
Students who successfully complete the qualifying report will then study Academic Preparation and complete a 60,000 word thesis.
Subject-specific elements in TESOL: Course and Materials Design, Methodology, Analysis of Written Discourse, Analysis of Spoken Interaction, Grammar and Lexis.
Subject-specific elements in Applied Linguistics: Analysis of Spoken and Written Discourse, Corpus Linguistics, Grammar, Lexis, Literary Linguistics, Language Variation and Change.
Subject-specific elements - in Forensic Linguistics: Introduction to Forensic Linguistics (by distance learning or by summer school); Linguistic investigation and evidence, Linguistic disadvantage in legal contexts.
- Possess a Masters degree from a UK university or hold an equivalent qualification. An overall merit or equivalent, with merit in the dissertation is normally required.
- Have the required skills and experience
- Submit a research proposal outline (typically 1 to 3 pages) on a relevant subject (see 'How To Apply').
Non-native speakers of English are normally required to satisfy the following minimum English language requirements:
- IELTS: 6.5 (minimum 6.5 in writing and reading and minimum 6.0 in speaking and listening)
- TOEFL iBT: 93 (minimum 26 in writing, 22 in speaking, 19 in listening, 18 in reading)
- Pearson Academic: 63 (minimum 63 in writing and speaking, and 57 in reading and listening)
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE): Grade B
- Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE): Grade A