Software Engineering for Industrial ApplicationHochschule Hof
Häufig gestellte Fragen
Applicants must hold a bachelor degree in Computer Science or a related field from an accredited institution. In order to attend this Master programme, a good knowledge in the areas of software engineering, programming, database systems and computer networks is required. In particular the following topics have to be covered by a first degree: Hardware: Computer components, micro controller programming Software Engineering: Models, requirements engineering, design languages, software validation...
The study course prepares students for complex management and engineering tasks in the domain of software development for industrial applications. In this field, information technology is increasingly characterised by integrated solutions interconnecting systems on various levels. Its applications range from low level control of production processes to high level management and logistic tasks of multiple independent companies. Managing projects in this domain requires not only excellent technological competence but also management and engineering skills which have to be trained and demonstrated in a sufficiently complex environment. Therefore, the course comprises extensive training assignments in addition to theoretical courses providing the technological and organisational knowledge.
The Master programme comprises four semesters. The first two semesters provide theoretical knowledge in the domains Management, Software Engineering for Distributed Systems, Advanced Information Systems and Logistic Systems. In addition, seminars on recent developments in these domains are offered.
The third and fourth semester are usually spent working as an intern in a company to gain more practical experience. This second year therefore is dedicated to training assignments in application oriented research and development projects.
- Programming: Extensive experience in the application of an object oriented programming language (e.g. C++, Java). Participation in the implementation of a large scale application.
- Database Systems: Relational and object oriented database technology, database normalisation, SQL, programming interfaces (e.g. ODBC, JDBC, etc.), transactions, indexing
- Networks: General principles of computer networks, socket communication, object oriented communication methods (e.g. Corba, Remote Method Invocation)
Additional professional experience in the software industry is strongly recommended.
You need a high level of academic English as all lectures and tutorials are taught in English. We require one of the following proofs of your proficiency in English:
- IELTS (Academic Training; Band 6.0) or
- TOEFL internet-based test (minimum score: 90) or
- TOEFL computer-based test (minimum score: 230)
- TOEFL paper-based test (minimum score: 575)
Dauer: 4 semesters (2 theoretical, two practical)
Beginn: Winter- und Sommersemester
Bewerbungsfrist: May 15 (winter semester) und November 30 (summer semester)