Writing for Scholarly PublicationCoventry University
£ 597 - (668 €)
- Vocational qualification
- Scarborough (Grossbritannien)
Was lernen Sie in diesem Kurs?
Skills and Training
There is a growing pressure on academics, professionals, and postgraduate students to disseminate research through publishing. In response to this demand, Coventry University’s Centre for Academic Writing offers ‘Writing for Scholarly Publication’, a 20-credit Master’s level module designed to support academics, professionals, and postgraduate students through the process of writing for publication.
The module is aimed at researchers who have completed data collection and analysis, a scholarly project, or work-related research. The module will help participants to move their initial research—which may have been generated for a thesis or dissertation, reported to employers or funding bodies, or presented at conferences—into the pages of scholarly or professional journals or other outlets.
Taught by lecturers from the Centre for Academic Writing, the module aims to help participants develop skills in writing for publication with the goal of producing a piece of writing ready to submit for publication.
10 May 2016 – 5 July 2016
Please note: in general, this module is not appropriate for researchers at the literature review stage of the research process. It is recommended that researchers who are at the literature review stage wait until they have completed their research to take this module.WHY CHOOSE THIS COURSE?
By studying on this module, you will:
- experience sustained, protected writing time, including an on-campus writing retreat,
- gain the structure and motivation necessary for developing and maintaining your writing practice;
- benefit from teaching and formative feedback on your writing that is grounded in current academic and professional writing theory;
- acquire confidence in writing clear and accurate prose;
- become knowledgeable about a variety of scholarly writing genres;
- learn how to transform your research into a publication;
- practice writing for publication and peer reviewing the writing of others.
The module will provide you with in-depth guidance on:
- choosing a target journal or other outlet for publication;
- writing in an appropriate genre;
- planning and drafting your article, book chapter, or other type of paper;
- peer reviewing;
- revising and editing your draft;
- responding to reviewers’ comments.
The module is taught over a period of approximately 10 weeks. In order to encourage the development of good habits for professional writing and the self-reliance that writing for publication demands, the teaching is workshop-based. There are four half-day sessions. There is also a four-day writing retreat that is held at the Centre for Academic Writing. The half-day sessions offer guidance on choosing a target outlet for publication, editing, reviewing and reacting to reviews, as well as many other publication-related topics.
Participants in the module work together, reviewing each other’s work and giving feedback. Participants also must get feedback on their draft paper from an expert in their subject area or discipline; a more experienced colleague can provide this feedback. At the end of the module, participants should be able to submit an article, book chapter, or other written output for publication.HOW WILL I BE ASSESSED?
Because ‘Writing for Scholarly Publication’ is designed as a Master’s level module, there is assessment in the form of a portfolio. This portfolio is developed out of the tasks undertaken for the workshop sessions, with the addition of a reflective paper that discusses the process and challenges of writing for scholarly purposes. This portfolio is submitted approximately three weeks after the final session.TEACHING CONTACT HOURS
40 teaching contact hours:
- four half days (9am–1pm);
- four-day writing retreat (9am–4pm) with one-hour lunch break.
The fee for this 20-credit Master’s module is £597.40 for both internal and external applicants.
Coventry University postgraduate students and staff members please note:
- Coventry University research students are required to take Master’s or Level 3 credits (40 credits for PhD students; 30 credits for Master’s by Research students) as part of their study. This module provides 20 credits which can be used for this purpose. The cost of modules undertaken as part of study for a Coventry University research degree is included in the fees for the research degree qualification.
- Coventry University staff members will incur the full fee unless they are also enrolled as Coventry University research students and meet the above criteria. Assistance with payment may be available through departmental staff development funding.
To find out more about how to apply, click on the Apply For This Course button above. Many of our courses offer a part-time study option. Note that the part-time mode of study is not applicable to international students, unless you hold a relevant visa – please check with the international office.
Please note: we have a range of taught postgraduate awards to suit your needs, from Postgraduate Certificate or Postgraduate Diploma to a full Master's Degree (MA, MBA, MSc, LLM). In most cases you can decide to exit at Postgraduate Certificate or Diploma level, without carrying onto the full Master's qualification.How will this course enhance my career prospects?
This module can enhance your career prospects by enabling you to develop the skills to articulate and disseminate the research you conduct through publication.GLOBAL LEADERS PROGRAMME
To prepare students for the challenges of the global employment market and to strengthen and develop their broader personal and professional skills Coventry University has developed a unique Global Leaders Programme.
The objectives of the programme, in which postgraduate and eligible undergraduate students can participate, is to provide practical career workshops and enable participants to experience different business cultures.
Click here for further details on the Global Leaders Programme.
If you click on the Order a Prospectus button above, we will send you a printed Postgraduate Prospectus; alternatively you can download a pdf prospectus.
To find out more information about Postgraduate Study at Coventry University, including finance and funding and the benefits of further study, see our Postgraduate Study pages.APPLY FOR THIS COURSE ORDER A PROSPECTUS "